There’s no way around it: Studying is hard work, especially when it comes to the CPA Exam. Fortunately, you can simplify your preparation by approaching your studies with a personalized plan built for your knowledge, experience and lifestyle.
Content and skills tested on the exam
The CPA Exam is a four-part exam that tests entry-level accountants’ skills to practice public accounting. The exam contains four separate exams, referred to as sections. Testing time totals 16 hours, equal to four hours per section, and assessment occurs at the Prometric test center.
The exam includes four sections: Auditing and Attestation (AUD), Business Environment and Concepts (BEC), Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR), and Regulation (REG). The following question types appear on the CPA Exam:
Multiple-choice questions (MCQs)
- One-sentence to paragraph-length questions
- Four potential answers
- Candidates select the best response
Task-based simulations (TBS)
- Practical questions
- Require typed-in responses
- May include research questions, journal entries, form completions or account reconciliations
Written-communication questions (WCQs)
- Evaluates candidates’ writing skills
- Test-takers type complete responses
- May include memos directed to a specific audience
Candidates may take the exam sections in any order, and each of the four exam sections is subdivided into five testlets containing various question types. See a breakdown of the questions within each test section here.
The CPA Exam is changing in 2024! Check out our resource to help you strategize for the new exam and understand the transition process.
Ensure the odds are in your favor with high-quality CPA study material
Whether you begin by sitting for the REG, FAR, AUD or BEC, your choice of CPA study material can significantly impact your final score. Considering that just over 50 percent of CPA candidates successfully pass the exam, this decision can mean the difference between moving forward with your career and spending many more hours studying for your second try.
The CPA Exam Review course you choose matters. Here are some things you should look for in a CPA Exam review provider.
Great exam review providers offer
- Choose a course with learning options: webinars and webcasts, printed material, and online self-study.
- Study variety boosts your ability to learn and retain information.
Easy fit into your life
- Consider the flexibility of course materials.
- Choose a review provider who allows you to study anytime, anywhere, so preparation fits into your lifestyle.
- The best CPA study material identifies your learning strengths and needs.
- Surgent’s adaptive A.S.A.P.® Technology utilizes AI to continually adapt to a learner’s needs.
- Choose experienced faculty members with the communication skills necessary to relay complicated concepts.
- Make sure that faculty is readily available to answer any questions you may have.
- Find a provider who provides pass rate statistics for your program.
- Select a provider who guarantees their program’s effectiveness. (Such as Surgent’s Pass Guarantee).
- Be prepared to pay for high-quality results – do not overlook quality courses based upon expense.
- Find a provider that offers reasonable payment plans.
Let Surgent help you save money and time.
Getting a quality CPA Review course doesn’t need to be expensive! Surgent offers affordable financing starting at 0% APR so you can get started for just $56/month.
You probably hear about candidates struggling to pass all four parts in 18 months. Well, it could take that long if you worked through every MCQ, video and textbook page for each content area and topic! Fortunately, there’s a better way to study. See how Surgent can help you pass faster with our adaptive learning experience.
And, even if you need more than 18 months to pass your exam, Surgent offers full access until you pass. Surgent supports candidates from start to finish!
Surgent is ready to help you pass the CPA on the first try.
Now that you know the best way to prepare for the CPA Exam, get started with the review course that fully personalizes your study plan. Get on the fast track with Surgent CPA Review today.
Want to try Surgent CPA Review?