Virginia (VA) CPA Exam requirements state that you must be declared eligible for the CPA Exam and then licensed by the state. A candidate becomes eligible for the CPA Exam by meeting specific requirements that are determined by the board of accountancy for their specific jurisdiction. Below are the Virginia CPA Exam requirements:
Virginia CPA Exam Education Requirements
- Minimum Degree Required: Baccalaureate
- 150 Semester Hours Required to Sit for the CPA Exam? No
- At least 120 semester hours of education, a baccalaureate or higher degree, and an accounting concentration or equivalent (see #1 under Virginia Application Process below for specifics)
- Need 150 for licensure, but do not need 150 to sit for the CPA Exam.
Virginia CPA Exam Age Requirements
Age Minimum: None
Virginia CPA Exam Residency Requirements
- U.S. Citizenship Required: No
- Must be a resident, employee OR have office in the state? No
- Review the exam requirements
- Submit the exam application + enroll in Surgent CPA Review
- Request and forward transcripts. Once eligibility is approved, complete and file the “Candidate for Examination Application” from the state website. This requires a $120 fee, paid to the Virginia Board of Accountancy, with each application and the candidate may apply for one to four parts of the exam with this application. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Pay the exam fees. After the candidate application has been processed, a payment coupon will be sent to the applicant. The exam fees for all four parts will total $734.10 and are payable to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) within a 90-day period. Once NASBA has received full payment, a Notice to Schedule will be issued to the candidate. Exam fees are refundable under certain circumstances.
- Schedule your exam. Your NTS allows you to start scheduling your exams, and is valid for 12 months. You can sit for the exam parts in any sequence so you can plan your reviews to coincide with your exam scheduling. The most efficient approach is to sit for two parts in each exam window; however, exam fees paid for parts not taken are not refundable. Exam times are scheduled with Prometric and can be set up online at www.prometric.com/cpa.You can take the exam at a site in Alexandria, Bristol, Fairfax, Glen Allen, Lynchburg, Newport News, Roanoke or any other Prometric location that is convenient to you.
Key Exam Process Links for Virginia
Virginia CPA Exam Fees
Initial Application Fee: $120
Other fees: Re-exam registration fee (varying amounts based on number of parts)