Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) Certification
About the CIA Exam
The Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) certification is the only internationally recognized credential for internal auditors. Not sure if the CIA Certification is right for you? We can help!
Education and ExperienceCertified Internal Auditor (CIA) candidates must meet at least one of the following requirements: - Earn a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least two years of verified professional experience in internal audit (or its equivalent). A masters degree may count towards one of the two years of professional experience. - Complete at least two years of post-secondary education and five years of verified experience in internal audit (or its equivalent) - Complete at least seven years of verified experience in internal audit (or its equivalent) Note: Candidates are able to sit for the exam before the professional education requirement has been met, but will not be certified until then.
Examination RequirementsThe CIA examination consists of 3 separate exams that must be completed within a 3-year eligibility window:
- Part 1 - Essentials of Internal Auditing
- Part 2 - Practice of Internal Auditing
- Part 3 - Business Knowledge for Internal Auditing
What is on the CIA exam?The CIA Exam measures candidates’ knowledge of disciplines related to and affecting the practice of internal auditing, including technical competencies. Candidates must be able to apply and organize their knowledge in a logical manner as well as be able to communicate their conclusions clearly and concisely.
Part 1Essentials of Internal Auditing
Exam Question Count125 Questions
1. Foundations of Internal Auditing (15%) 2. Independence and Objectivity (15%) 3. Proficiency and Due Professional Care (18%) 4. Quality Assurance and Improvement Program (7%) 5. Governance, Risk Management, and Control (35%) 6. Fraud Risks (10%)
Part 2Practice of Internal Auditing
Exam Question Count100 Questions
1. Managing the Internal Audit Activity (20%) 2. Planning the Engagement (20%) 3. Performing the Engagement (40%) 4. Communicating Engagement Results and Monitoring Progress (20%)
Part 3Business Knowledge for Internal Auditing
Exam Question Count100 Questions
1. Business Acumen (35%) 2. Information Security (25%) 3. Information Technology (20%) 4. Financial Management (20%)
What is the CIA certification?Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) is the only internationally recognized credential for internal auditors. The CIA certification is granted by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) upon passing the CIA exam.
What is the CIA exam?The Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) exam is a three-part test that measures candidates’ knowledge of internal auditing disciplines. The CIA exam is administered by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
What types of questions are on the CIA exam?The CIA Exam is made up of three parts, with 125 questions on part 1 and 100 questions on both part 2 and part 3. All of these questions are multiple choice questions.
How much does it cost to take the CIA exam?The cost of the CIA Exam depends on whether you're a member of the IIA or not. But, at most (not including the member's discount), the cost is:
- Application fee: $230
- CIA Exam Part 1 Fee: $395
- CIA Exam Part 2 Fee: $345
- CIA Exam Part 3 Fee: $345