Featured resources

CMA study tips

Prepare for the Certified Management Accountant exam with Surgent’s tools and tips to help you pass the first time.

Additional CMA Exam Review resources

Shop CMA Exam Review products

Frequently asked questions

When is the CMA exam offered?

The CMA exam is offered during two-month windows: January and February, May and June, and September and October.

Do I need to take the CMA exam parts in order?

No. You may take them in any order.

Where can I take the CMA exam?

Exams are offered at Prometric test centers worldwide. Candidates can schedule their exams with Prometric at www.prometric.com/ICMA.

Remote testing is available using Prometric’s ProProctor service.

How is the CMA exam scored?

Multiple-choice questions count for 75% of candidates’ final scores, while essay questions make up the remaining 25%. Out of the 100 total multiple-choice questions (MCQs), only 90 count towards the exam score, while the remaining 10 are evaluated by the Institute of Certified Management Accountants (ICMA) as a possible future exam question and do not count toward candidates’ exam scores. Students must score a minimum of 50% on the multiple-choice portion of the exam to proceed to the essay portion.

How much does the CMA exam cost?

Students must pay a non-refundable CMA entrance fee of $210 and an exam fee of $345 per part. Professionals must pay a non-refundable CMA entrance fee of $280 and an exam fee of $460 per part. In addition, candidates must be members of the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), which ranges from $45 for students to $275 for professionals.

Do CMAs have continuing education (CE) requirements?

Yes. CMAs must complete at least 30 hours of CE per year, including two hours on the subject of ethics. Additionally, CMAs maintain their certification by paying the CMA annual fee, which includes active membership in the IMA. We offer more than 1,200 CE webinars a year, with a full library of self-study courses, tailored in-firm seminars and training, and accounting exam prep programs for several core credentials and certifications.